Google Custom Search

Friday, August 7, 2009

My experience with J1 US visa


I appeared for J1 visa interview on 25th March 2009 with my wife. Everything went well but at the end, I was given yellow slip and was asked to submit technical qualification questionnaire, offer letter, DS-157 and my CV. I did not expect that……I was shocked and when I came out of embassy, I could not understand what to do for some time.

Whole plan was disturbed, I had booked my ticket for US, and fortunately it was an open ticket. I came home and answered all the questions of the TAL (http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/hitechbs.html). I submitted the questionnaire with other documents and then started waiting for reply from embassy. Meanwhile, I got a acknowledgement mail. Everyday or say many time during the day, I was used to check my mails……..after 3 weeks, my employer in US started asking that how much time will it take (as if I know the answer)……I was nervous, one fear was that if I get visa very late or not at all…….what will I do…….I will have to start looking for other job options in India….and I really started applying to a few places in India. It was a big torture to me and my family……fortunately I got the mail from US consulate on 4th May 2009, saying completion of administrative processing and asking to submit passport. I submitted my passport on 5th may and got the visa on 7th May. I came to US on 12th May.

If I look back, I get afraid……..I am still afraid of taking any holiday……what if I go to India and then have to wait for weeks/months to come back. Only those people who have gone through this Administrative processing on their visa can understand my situation……..I hope that this situation will improve in future, I am optimistic…….till now !!!!

No comments: